Friday 28 September 2012

My new job!

Oh my goodness! I had SUCH a sleepless night yesterday because I've been way too excited, so I might as well share the good news... I got a job!! :) And, even though I haven't even started working, I have a good feeling that this is a job that I'll love. 

I feel so blessed because it's a job teaching children at an art studio! I just want to share a little about how I even got the job because it was such a learning experience for me... in taking the risk to try something new. 

My degree is actually in Education but after my first year of teaching, I felt like something was missing. I did enjoy some aspects of teaching in a classroom environment (for example, eating "candy chalk" and fooling all my students into thinking it was real) but my mind was constantly thinking about what it would be like to have a job related to art. Of course, I didn't want to be too picky because I know the purpose of a full-time job is not necessarily to "have fun"... but I've always thought that if I'm going to dedicate so many hours of my life to working, I might as well work at something I am passionate about - something that I honestly, truly enjoy. It was tough though to even think about attempting to "change fields" because I have a wedding to save up for next year, but Mr. Potatohead and I talked it over, and we agreed that if there was any time to consider different job options, that time would be now. Honestly, knowing that I had his support helped so much in giving me confidence to start looking for jobs outside my comfort zone and not just jumping at the first random job I got (I actually first applied for a teaching job and got the position, but declined it). So, even though I didn't have an actual Art degree and I still had a whole lot of self-doubt, I started applying to art-related jobs instead of more teaching jobs.

Another thing you should know is that I'm a Christian, and for me, I have experienced so many clearly-defined moments in my life where I felt God had provided opportunities for me even when I doubted that any opportunities even existed. So this time, I just trusted that God would provide and during this period of job uncertainty (and a potential change in career!) I felt strangely at peace. I can get discouraged pretty easily and become self-critical but this time around - even though I wasn't even qualified for 90% of the job postings I looked at - I wasn't disheartened. I knew I just had to be patient. Finally, I found a posting for this particular art studio and applied. It's actually a miracle I got the job because although I seem to have a natural inclination towards art, I definitely didn't have the techniques and post-secondary art training that other candidates did. But after three interviews where I got tested on my painting and sketching skills, I got hired!!! I'm so glad they took a chance on me, and I think part of why they chose me was because of my teaching experience (IRONICALLY).

It's amazing because this job is a combination of both teaching AND art. As pictured below, in my  mind this somehow turns into a crazed psycho art teacher covered in paint holding a stereotypical teacher wand. HAHA. But really, that IS probably what I'm going to look at my new job, minus the teacher wand. I stayed up late to draw that cartoon because I couldn't sleep anyway! :)


This post has been quite long but I've actually already shortened my whole ESSAY OF A RAMBLE into this abbreviated version! Honestly though, I'd love to share with you in more detail if you're interested, so send me a personal email if you have any questions or if you want to know more... about anything, really! 

Or, just leave a comment below to say hi! It would totally make my day if you commented below with the phrase, "You're one crazy monkey!" That will prove to me that you are super awesome for having read this far, and it will confuse everyone else who only skimmed over this entry. HAHAHA. DO IT. Please? :)



23 comments:

  1. you're one crazy monkey!:D
    Congrats to your new job. Now I think its even more emarrassing, that my english is sooo bad, because of that you are a "teacher" (hope I understood that right) :D I am so sorry. :D:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness, your english is not bad AT ALL! hahaha... english is my first language so of course it's easier for me, but keep learning - the fact that you're able to read and respond in english is already so awesome!!

      Delete
  2. ur new job sounds really exciting! goodluck :)

    http://calitahin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks crazy calita monkey! :) i am super excited and hopefully it will be as fun as i imagined it to be. HAHAHA

      Delete
  3. You're one crazy monkey! :))
    Congratulations on your new job. And thank you as well for the lovely comments on my blog. Working on the GFC button, I messed my codes up, so, yeah. Haha! Followed you by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah thanks crazy mac-monkey! :) i'll be patient and follow you back when your button is working... :)

      Delete
  4. You're one crazy monkey!

    Congrats on the new job!!! It sounds exciting and I'm sure you will love it!

    borderlinebasic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crazy lilli monkey ;) - haha thank you!!! i'm hoping it will be awesome :)

      Delete
  5. You are a crazy monkey, Laura! And congratulation for your new job! I'm sure you'll love it, patience is a great virtue, and it rewards!

    I've been checking your blog, and I really liked it!
    I'm following you, of course!
    I invite you to stop by my blog, and if you like it, I'd love if you follow me back, hopefully via bloglovin ...
    A big hug!

    Inés
    SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course i'll follow you back =) us crazy monkeys have to stick together ;)

      Delete
  6. You're one crazy monkey!
    Congratulations on your new job! And way to go for stepping outside your comfort zone and pursuing your happiness! =)

    smileyclara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks so much crazy clara monkey!!!! im so glad i took that step :) thanks so much for ur sweet comment!!

      Delete
  7. You're one crazy monkey! But really though, you'll be so good at it. Ilia and Tessa actually went to the art studio for 2 consecutive seasons, and they loved it! If it isn't because of conflict of schedule, they'd still be there!

    Keep up the good work Laura. And yes, GOD is good! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Praise GOD indeed. then that means right now, ilia and tessa know wayyyyyyyy more about how the studio works than i do! ;D hahaha awesome!!

      Delete
  8. KELLYYYYYY <3!!!!! so good to hear from you... thank you crazy monkey mom! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so cool
    xx the cookies
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com
    enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWWWWWWW! Congratza to the max! i wish i could work there too. I think i applied for it but no response! :( oh wellllll!!!! Keep seeking God's plan for you Laura! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster award!

    If you want to know more about it, just go to: http://smileyclara.blogspot.com.br/2012/09/liebster-award.html

    Congratulations on your fabulous blog and have a lovely day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Laura! You're one CRAZY monkey. ;) It takes so much willpower to switch career paths, and I'm so happy that it worked out for you. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, you're so lucky!!
    =)
    I'm a new follower!
    Check my blog if you want!

    A loser like me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats!!!!
    xx from Ukraine
    Ann

    ReplyDelete