Thursday 20 September 2012

bookmark doodle

Today's doodle is from a bookmark I drew for my students this past year. Yes, I was a high school teacher for a year in Hong Kong (crazy!!!). I found some extra bookmarks lying around inside my still-unpacked suitcases so I thought I'd show you all. The school system in Hong Kong is so different from the one here in Canada. In my Grade 7/8 classes, there were 40 kids in each class! FORTY hormone-filled kids all experiencing the start of that wonderful stage of life called Puberty. Anyway, to keep them all entertained and attentive, I would often draw cartoons or comics on the whiteboard and on all my worksheets. At the end of the year, I printed 400 copies of this bookmark and gave it out to all my students. Mine were just printed on blue & white marbled cardstock, but you could definitely use brighter colours or even patterned paper. Bookmarks are so easy to create and reproduce in mass quantities but it's still a nice gift that can definitely be personalized. Plus, it's useful (at least for people who read!).

Speaking of reading, I am currently re-reading The Hobbit. Yes... my obsession with Middle Earth continues.


And in case you were wondering, yes, that is Lego Gandalf telling you to read more books. 


7 comments:

  1. You are very talented! I totally wish I could draw better... lol

    Borderlinebasic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keep practicing :) i think it takes a lot of patience because im still learning a lot too. :)

      Delete
  2. You're a very talented artist! That bookmark is so cute!
    I'm a teacher as well, but I teach English in a language school and the classes are really small, like 5 or 6 students on average. 40 students is ROUGH!

    p.s. I loved Lego Gandalf!

    smileyclara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! haha yes Lego Gandalf is the best. It came with a Lego Frodo too which may make an appearance one of these days. ooh and 5-6 students per class is definitely ideal. thats a great number to work with :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool bookmark! You are an amazing doodle-er! haha... The kids probably love it!
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. hihi. great with the lego gandalf. i´ve also read this book! I think its great and I cant wait to see the film. Sorry for my bad english, hope you can understand what I am writing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no... your english is great! i don't know any german, so that's even worse =P

      Delete